Sunday, November 12, 2006

Happy Belated Birthday C.R.!

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I missed a birthday on my list. C.R., for your birthday I will tell you a story from our trip.

We stayed in Malee's Nature Lovers Bungalows outside of Chiang Dow. Malee had a birthday on your birthday, the 9th. She donates food to the local village school 3 or 4 times per month. She buys all of the food and the cafeteria women cook it up. For her birthday, she invited all of us guests to attend lunch at the school.

The kids sat at wooden tables in an open-sided room. More like a covered patio than a room. The adults (teachers, Malee's guests, etc.) sat at the same wood tables but ours were covered with burgundy table cloths and we had several different Thai dishes to choose from, including the same noodle dish that the kids were eating.

They all wore uniforms. They came in lines by classrooms, washed their hands and then looped back around to the food line. They got a noodle dish and birthday cake and went and sat down. They did not eat until all of the kids had been served and the adults got their food. They were angelic. They were so quiet. I took video for the cafeteria staff at our school. When finally we were all seated, the kids all chanted something together and then a boy came to the head of Malee's table and thanked her on behalf of the students and school. Finally we ate. In the end, Malee had arranged for an ice cream vendor to come to the school with her motorcycle cart and give ice cream to the kids.

It was a good way to spend your birthday.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"for your birthday I will tell you a story..."

...and what more could any of us ask? I hope there are more birthdays to come.

Thanks,
Phil

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I misssssssss you!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Mags said...

Hi guys...I totally forgot to follow your travels thus far, so from here on out, I'll be checking in every day. I wish my adventure was that great right now. Hope you're having an amazing time. It sounds like it. We'll be watching from cold Wisconsin.
Love, Mags

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home