Sunday, November 26, 2006

More Birthdays


Hello, and Happy Birthday to the following kids: J.H., A.S., and N.L. J.H. and A.S., your birthdays are on our 14th wedding anniversary (November 24th). I missed home more than ever this weekend. I really love the Thanksgiving break (not to mention the food). We had no hint of home here. Just fellow American travelers who were talking about Thanksgiving. I spent the whole weekend thinking, "Okay, it's 8:00pm here, now they are all sitting on the couch watching football." I did that about every 3 hours or so.

Before I continue on with my birthday story for the three birthday kids mentioned above, I need to correct a mistake (none of you corrected me). It never was L.R.'s birthday (his is in January when I return), and I missed T.F.'s birthday, so this story goes out to him, too.


Remember that we went to this school in honor of Malee's birthday. She paid for the food, including birthday cake and ice cream. These kids sat for nearly a half hour waiting to eat. They talked quietly among themselves and were patient.

When we arrived, they were still in class. They were noisy and having fun, while their teacher corrected workbooks. There were english words written on the board, as they are all introduced to the english language in school now. They enjoyed having their pictures taken and loved looking at themselves on the camera's digital screen.

We noticed that each child carred a small cloth bag. Inside were the spoons you see on the trays, a cup, and a toothbrush. After they ate, they washed their trays and put them in an open cage to dry. Then they got in line for ice cream.

After their ice cream, they played outside at recess, brushed their teeth and when the bell rang, they all went into a common area (I suppose the equivalent of the music room in size, but open on one wall to the outside). There, they all sat in lines, on the floor and did a little chanting. When I asked Malee what they were doing, she said they were going to meditate.

I remember a college teacher of mine saying, "Kids are kids are kids." It's true. They are the same everywhere. The only difference here is that they eat their ice cream in a slice of bread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home