Friday, November 17, 2006

Food


The food here is absolutely the best. There are a zillion restaurants. And a zillion more steetside vendors. And a zillion more vendors in the markets. There is no shortage of good food.

In the mornings, we get banana pancakes if they are available, or perhaps fried rice. Some places serve fresh fruit and yogurt. I love that. The fruit is so good: watermelon, pineapple, papaya, banana, mango. MMMMMMMM.

One of the neatest things I've eaten so far was at the border with Myanmar. There was a man with a food cart barbequeing banana (they are shorter than ours). He grilled them until they were light brown on all sides. Then he put them in a hinged squisher (somewhat like a tortilla press) and flattened them a bit, then cut them into one inch pieces. Next, he put them in a plastic bag, poured an orangy sauce over them, added to bamboo kabob sticks and we paid 8 baht for them. They were delicious and like nothing I'd ever had before.

Too bad for me, there's no chocolate readily available. There's coffee all over, but many places serve instant Nescafe (why I'm not sure). When it's fresh, it's usually really good. We passed a Starbucks today, but I felt like that would be cheating, so I just passed it by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home